Thalapothichil is a special procedure of application of medicated paste on the head. Thalapothichil is also called as Shirolepa (anointment to head/ head pack). Thalapothichil is from Malayalam where thala refers tohead and pothichil is covering. It is the traditional Ayurveda treatment of Kerala which is very effective in various psychosomatic disorders. Basically Thalapothichil is cooling treatment.
The person is made to sit in an easy position. A gentle oil massage is given to head with specific medicated oil. An herbal paste is freshly prepared by cooking it with the buttermilk after carefully assessing the condition of the person. The paste is applied over the scalp in a layer of thickness of about 0.5 to 1 centimeter, leaving a small central portion. A medicated oil is filled in this groove. The paste is then covered with leaves (plantain or lotus leaf) and cloth leaving the groove open. At the end of the procedure the paste is removed; a gentle head massage is given.
The head is covered with Amla (Indian gooseberry) paste prepared in buttermilk or some decoctions suitable for the condition. The head is covered with a banana leaf.
Duration of the treatment: 30 minutes to 45 minutes depending on the condition.
- Corrects imbalance of pitta Dosha
- Relaxes and calms down the mind; has a soothing effect on the body
- Stabilizes the nervous system
- Activates the Marma (vital areas) points
- Relieves stress, tension, heaviness of the head
- Improves quality of sleep
- Improves lustre and smoothness of hair
- Improves memory
- Relaxes, rejuvenates and nourishes the head and neck region.
Effective for dealing with stress, anxiety, sinusitis, chronic headache, sleep disorders and hair loss.
Thalapothichil is indicated in:
- Insomnia and sleep disorders
- Chronic headaches like migraines
- Burning sensation of the body
- Certain skin diseases of scalp like dermatitis of scalp, dandruff, hair loss
- Premature graying of hair
- Certain types of Insanity
- Chronic sinusitis
- Anxiety, depression
- Some stages of mental retardation